Friday, August 29, 2008

i am oh so blessed





You know how you American people love to say "count your blessings"? Well, let me tell you...I lost count of mine a long time ago. As if having an amazing family isn't enough, Jesus also gave me these two bitchin' dogs to call my own. This post is dedicated to them, my sweet little bundles of love.
Petunia came into my life when we needed each other the most. She was in death row, and I was a mess. Having just moved here and missing the fam and friends like crazy, I was nothing short of a wreck. Of course Ammon helped, but he was also trying to get used to me being there and well...it was just insane in the membraine (INSANE IN THE BRAIN!). I decided to volunteer for No More Homeless Pets in Utah thinking I would be dog-petting and dog-walking, but instead I was stuck in an office, licking stamps and making phone calls to people who wanted nothing to do with me. Or pets, for that matter. After a week of that, I signed up to help at a Petsmart Adoption thing. Ammon and I had talked about how I should just focus on school and get a dog later, so I had no plans when I arrived at Petsmart on that beautiful, sunny day. As soon as I walked in, my heart started beating really fast and I felt like I was going to cry. So many great dogs without homes...why are people so irresponsible? I am still trying to figure it all out. Anyway, my job was to clean pee and poo (and I have no problem doing that...but if it's a baby's poo, I will not touch it with a gloved hand for less than $300) and take the pups out of their crates for walks around the parking lot. I hadn't really noticed Petunia until it came to be her turn to get walked. Her crate was on top of another dog's crate, and I was afraid she was going to tip it over from running around in circles in there. No, her crate was not big...she was just crazy and full of energy. So I got her out and just thought she was perfect. Her name was Katie. Totally cute, perfect Jack Russell. I read her info sheet and it stated she hated kids, men, high heels, boots, cats, other dogs...everything. And at that moment, I knew she had to be mine. I talked to the adoption lady, and she said, "No no, get another one...that one has been returned 5 times already and you'll just end up returning her as well." OH, NO YOU DON'T! Don't EVER challenge me to something I KNOW I am good at. And if there is one thing I am good at, it is dealing with dogs. I get them, they get me...it works. So that's how Petunia and I came to be. And now, we're inseperable. She is perfect. If it's late at night and I'm in a hurry for her to go pee, all I have to say is "Petunia, PEE!" and she does it. When Ammon asks, she just ignores him. He doesn't even believe me when I say she does it for me. Whatever, I have nothing to prove. Petunia and I don't need to brag about her intelligence, anyway. So anyway, my girl is perfect, beautiful, smart and so sweet. She loves to cuddle and she lets me kiss her face all the time. She just sits there and sometimes even closes her eyes. When I got her, she wouldn't even let me TOUCH her. I love her so much.
So now, on to Boomer. I call him Boom or Booms for fun. Or Boomie, cause it reminds me of Bloomingdale's...and he is just that fancy, mind you.
I got Boomie for a birthday gift, last year. He came from the Labrador Rescue of Utah. Ammon is DA BOMB, Boom is the best birthday present ever. Booms had been bounced around quite a bit. The rescue told us that his original owners gave him up because he is afraid of guns and loud noises, so basically, he is useless. And so am I, I guess, because guns scare the fuck out of me. Anyway, the owner guy (hunters rock my world, btw) too Booms to the vet and asked the vet to put him to sleep, because Boomer was useless to him. Well here at home Boomer is very useful. He helps out with the laundry, takes out the trash and vacuums every Saturday. Ammon complains that Boomie is too clingy, cause he likes to lay down ON your feet. And if you sit on the floor, he wants to sit down ON your lap. I personally wouldn't have him any other way.
Today Ammon and I took my pups to the park to swim. Seeing Boomer run and Petunia get in the water is one of my favorite things in the world. My dogs mean the world to me, and I love to make them as happy as they make me.
I doubt anyone read through all of that, but I just get carried away when I talked about those two. Not many people understand my love and devotion to animals, but my life wouldn't be as meaningful if I lived it with just boring people.

DOGS RULE, HUMANS DROOL!

1 comment:

Ann said...

I read the whole thing and I have even heard those stories before!

I love your sweet pups too. I'm glad you have them to keep you company and I am always so impressed with your kindness.